Reflecting growing demand for more general, fundamental instruction in process automation, the International Society of Automation (ISA) announces today it has developed a new course for non-maintenance personnel with little or no background in the field of process measurement and control.
ISA Process Automation Boot Camp for Non-Maintenance Personnel (PABC)—which will make its 2014 debut during the week of Monday, 31 March 2014 at ISA headquarters in RTP, NC, USA—is specifically designed for:
- Operations personnel with no instrument maintenance responsibilities, but who require a general knowledge of process automation equipment
- Automation engineers who need a basic understanding of process automation equipment, signal transmissions and process measurements
- Process control engineers who need to understand the operation of all equipment associated with the process control loop
- Process control equipment sales staff needing to learn process measurement and control and the various applications of process instrumentation
- Managers responsible for overseeing operations or maintenance personnel who need a general overview of the technology maintained by their staff
While more general in focus, this new ISA course delivers highly intensive instruction—combining select laboratory demonstrations (approximately 25% of course time) with expert-led, in-depth lecture and classroom discussion—over a full week. Considerable emphasis is placed on the physical measurement technologies, the communication signals, and the various applications of instrument equipment to achieve common process measurements and control.
Primary course objectives include:
- Providing an overview of industrial measurement, automation equipment, and equipment installation to non-maintenance personnel so that they gain a basic knowledge of instrumentation, including terminology and operation
- Outlining recommended installation practices for the most common process measurement and control equipment
- Describing measurement technologies employed by different types of measurement instruments
- Pinpointing the various communication signals and related pros and cons
- Identifying basic troubleshooting techniques to verify proper field equipment operation
To learn more about, or register for, the PABC course, visit www.isa.org/PR14/PABC